senior construction manager
The Senior Construction Manager is a key management position within Ditesco. This role oversees the construction management program and is actively involved in all large construction projects (typically over $10M in construction value). The Senior Construction Manager leads the construction management initiatives as part of the company’s strategic operations plan and supervises assigned staff. This position allocates resources, tracks, and reports on project progress, manages project risk through staff oversight, monitors schedules, manages budgets, ensures quality, and performs contract administration and project management. This position creates and implements plans/monitors programs to ensure project success across all phases of delivery (financing, permitting, design, construction, start-up, and operations) as may be applicable to individual clients, programs, or projects. Works on duties as assigned by company leadership.
The Senior Construction Manager has direct responsibility for company-initiated financial goals. This position is responsible for 20-30% of annual revenue generation and business development. The position shall actively participate in business development through assistance with proposal development, client meetings, interviews, and company introductory presentations.
Supervision Received: Works under the general supervision of the President.
Supervision Exercised: Directly supervise subordinates as assigned. Shall provide training, mentoring, and guidance to all employees.
Job Classification: Full-time, Exempt Employee.
Ditesco offers a comprehensive compensation package including health care (75% of employee and family premium paid; 100% individual); 401k, paid vacation, holidays, floating holidays, and performance-based bonuses. Salary range for this position is $125,000 to $150,000 per year; 26 pay periods.
Application Process: Send us your updated resume and cover letter.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage risk across all large project industry sectors delivering world-class projects to Ditesco clients.
- Implement, manage and oversee all quality assurance and quality control programs on assigned projects. Translate these programs company-wide as may be applicable.
- Develop a high-performing team through supervision, training, coaching, and mentoring. Recruit, attract, retain and motivate staff. Ensure regular/timely feedback is shared with assigned personnel.
- Complete employee performance appraisals of assigned employees with the President or management team through direct reviews or 360° reviews.
- Develop and manage an overall safety program for the company. Monitor and enforce best practices. Maintain safety training as applicable to all company operations (OSHA, open trench, confined space, etc.); track and maintain employee safety certifications.
- Oversee the management of the company’s equipment inventory as it relates to field construction operations (PPE, etc.). Procure equipment according to company policies and practices to support projects/staff needs.
- Provide senior leadership on assigned projects and provide support as needed to successfully complete projects according to Ditesco’s scope of services with a value-added approach.
- Provide owner’s representative, program management and project management services to clients across project types and industry sectors.
- Provide proactive contract administration for all assigned projects. Responsible for the proper administration of all assigned project/construction contracts and all project controls. Responsible for work products meeting company quality standards.
- Attend regular project progress meetings and assist staff throughout project delivery.
- Ensure company policies and procedures are updated and followed by each team member or assigned employee.
- Track and control construction risk, schedules, and associated costs to achieve completion of projects within time and budget allocated.
- Participate, recommend and analyze various project delivery strategies, recommend delivery models to clients and ensure proper implementation and management.
- Have experience in common industry delivery models including CM/GC, CMaR, Design/Build, DBB, P3 and others.
- Strategic Planning. Work with senior leadership/management team to develop long-term plans for the organization around growth and development of company initiatives. Actively participate in company planning/strategy meetings, retreats, and similar events focused on employee engagement and company success.
- Meet routinely with senior leadership/President to report on project status. Ensure leadership is kept fully informed on the condition of projects, the health of client relationships, and employees. Provide monthly reports on job profitability, risk, and status.
- Identify new business opportunities. Meet contact report and business development goals. Responsible for 20%-30% of company of annual gross revenue. Responsible for maintenance of existing client relationships and contracts as assigned by President.
- Assist and/or manage the creation of proposals, business marketing pieces, and products that respond to requests for proposals or solicit new clientele.
- Set goals, monitor work, and evaluate results to ensure that company/team and organizational objectives are met and are in line with the needs and mission of the organization.
- For assigned projects, ensure timely invoicing and accurate reporting of project costs; maintain Ditesco project budgets with assistance from assigned staff.
- Perform analysis on various initiatives to ensure direct labor is maximized, profit maintained and costs are known and covered.
- Participate in, and nurture, broad networks of alliances with others (outside of Ditesco) to exchange knowledge and information about learning in support of changes within the industry. Report and share information regularly with the management team/President.
- Participate in industry associations and work groups representing the company.
- Perform related work as required or other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Considerable knowledge of engineering and construction principles and practices related to heavy civil, commercial, and public buildings, water, wastewater, pipeline, and road/bridge construction. Ability to foster teamwork, lead, develop professional relationships, mentor and train. Ability to compile engineering data and statistics; evaluate and generate reports. Ability to ensure compliance with, and follow standard safety practices and procedures common to construction work. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies, clients, and the public. Ability to prepare budgets, and proposals and manage contracts and project costs.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering or Construction Management required.
Special Licensing or Certification: Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Colorado; Certified Construction Manager or combined education and experience.
Experience: Minimum 15 years of increasingly responsible experience in civil engineering and construction with an emphasis in the following areas:
- Project/Construction Management and Contract Administration
- Claims avoidance, Risk Management, and Schedule Control
- Construction Management related to Municipal, State and Federal Agency projects
- Demonstrated business development and relationship-building experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to communicate with clients and the public and respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively communicate with contractors and people in the construction trades to interpret plans, specifications, and contracts in resolving construction-related issues. Ability to write speeches, white papers, and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to management, public groups, and/or clients.
Ability to apply mathematical concepts necessary to perform routine construction and civil engineering-related calculations to support construction projects.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Ability to operate MS 365 software applications proficiently. Ability to create WBS to inform creation of CPM schedules using Oracle P6, PowerProject and MS Project. Ability to use Bluebeam, Adobe Procore and other industry recognized software packages. Experience using ESRI ArcGIS applications a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The job is both in the office and field environments. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, outside weather conditions, uneven terrain, underground or confined space conditions, building heights, and elevated workspaces. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud requiring appropriate hearing protection.
Travel Requirements 10%
Application Process: Send us your updated resume and cover letter.