The Project Engineer (PE) is an entry-level position that provides design and construction support with an emphasis on CAD design for municipal projects. The PE will assist with the overall scope of services; engineering and CAD design, construction management, and quality of each project. They will partner with the Senior Civil Engineer and Senior CAD Designer to develop conceptual layouts, schematic design, construction document drawings, permit-level drawings, and bid and construction-level drawings using AutoCAD Civil 3D. Additionally, they will be responsible for the inspection of construction work for contract compliance, project documentation, and recommendation of remediation measures as necessary.
Supervision Received: Works under the general supervision of the Senior Civil Engineer or other senior management when assigned.
Supervision Exercised: No supervision of subordinates.
Job Classification: Full-time, Exempt Employee.
Ditesco offers a comprehensive compensation package including health care (75% of employee and family premium paid; 100% individual); 401k, paid vacation, holidays, floating holidays, and performance-based bonuses. Salary range for this position is $65,000 to $80,000 per year; 26 pay periods.
Application Process: Send us your updated resume and cover letter.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Other duties may be assigned. Duties are varied in nature, and include:
- Work with a team of Ditesco employees, consultants, and contractors to achieve project goals.
- Basic civil engineering design.
- Perform Civil Engineering Design tasks which include: pump and pipeline design; grading and drainage design; utility design; roadway and site design
- Provide Civil Engineering drafting and design services by preparing and maintaining AutoCAD Civil 3D engineering drawings that compile to create a set of permittable plans.
- Prepare designs from general instructions and preliminary sketches, diagrams, or schematics.
- Thorough understanding of design of roads and streets, drainage, and utility design.
- Prepare for and attend project progress meetings (design and construction) to successfully progress the project design and construction process and objective.
- Assist with budget and schedule control.
- Prepare project documentation including: Submittal review and processing; Request for information (RFI) processing; Photographic records; Daily construction logs.
- Field engineering support during construction.
- Site inspection.
- Assistance with construction management.
The successful candidate will work collaboratively with their teammates and assigned supervisor to help achieve their respective Civil Engineering Design, Project Management, and CAD Design objectives.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- 0-2 years of experience in engineering design or construction with an emphasis in Civil Engineering Design, Construction Management, and/or Project Management.
- 0-2 years of experience in the design of site/civil, utilities, and roadway projects.
- Field engineering and layout knowledge.
- Knowledge of engineering principles and construction practices related to heavy civil, commercial and public buildings, water, wastewater, pipeline, and road/bridge construction.
- Ability to ensure compliance with and follow standard safety practices and procedures common to construction work.
- Ability to compile data and statistics and evaluate and write reports.
- Ability to prepare engineering cost estimates for design and construction projects.
- Proficient experience using AutoCAD Civil 3D to create surfaces, alignments, and profiles.
- Understanding of ArcGIS and using it in conjunction with AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Willingness to assist with a wide range of projects and work with multiple project managers.
- Ability to effectively communicate using both oral and written communication to internal, external teams and clients.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies, clients and the public.
Education: Graduation from a college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Engineering with an emphasis in CAD design.
Special Licensing or Certification: Fundamentals of Engineering, EI preferred.
Experience: Minimum 1 year of experience in engineering and construction with an emphasis in the following areas:
- CAD Design using AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Engineering Management related to municipal or federal agency projects
- Construction Management and Project Management
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to communicate with clients and the public and respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively communicate with contractors and people in the construction trades to interpret plans, specifications, and contracts in resolving construction-related issues. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to management, public groups, and/or clients.
Ability to apply mathematical concepts necessary to perform various engineering calculations at an entry engineering level, geometric design, horizontal and vertical alignment, line and grade, slopes, and other calculations, as necessary.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; climb, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, outside weather conditions, uneven terrain, underground or confined space conditions, building heights, and elevated workspaces. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud requiring appropriate hearing protection.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: 10%
Application Process: Send us your updated resume and cover letter.