associate construction manager
The Associate Construction Manager (ACM) will be responsible for the project and construction management of water, wastewater, utility, heavy civil, transportation, and/or building projects. Work involves the management of multiple projects at one time. The ACM is responsible for assisting the Construction Manager in the planning, management, project execution, client satisfaction, and financial outcome of assigned construction projects. Projects the ACM works on are generally smaller in contract size and value (typically < $10 million).
Supervision Received: Works under the general supervision of the Department Manager or Senior Construction Manager.
Supervision Exercised: Does not directly supervise subordinates.
Job Classification: Full-time, Exempt Employee.
Compensation: Ditesco offers a comprehensive compensation package including health care (75% of employee and family premium paid; 100% individual); 401k, paid vacation, holidays, floating holidays, and performance-based bonuses. Salary range for this position is $68,000 to $90,000 per year; 26 pay periods.
Application Process: Send us your updated resume and cover letter.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Other duties may be assigned. Duties are varied in nature and include:
- Works at local and remote jobsites, as assigned.
- Implement, manage and supervise project controls (cost, schedule, quality).
- Manage client budgets for construction phases of work, consult regularly with supervisor on cost and budgetary issues on projects.
- Perform project schedule analysis using Microsoft Project or other project management scheduling software to track critical path, monitor float and project progress.
- Attend and assist in management of weekly project progress meetings.
- Maintain a daily log of construction and inspection activities and prepare and review progress reports.
- Create, review, edit and distribute meeting minutes and supporting project documentation.
- Assist in development and manage construction quality control and assurance programs.
- Perform regular construction inspection and observation work to ensure compliance with specifications, standards and codes.
- Write, develop and distribute monthly dashboard reports of project progress.
- Assist in management of contract administration of various project types (GMP, Unit Price, Cost Plus, etc.) including development, review, and approval of pay applications, change orders, field orders and change directives.
- Coordinates work items, scheduling, and communication amongst contractors, utility companies, governmental agencies, citizens, and others as needed.
- Manage overall project closeout and commissioning activities including punch list, completion certificates, warranties, start-up and testing, early project operations and final payment procedures.
- Ensure accurate record drawings and as-built documentation is maintained throughout project delivery.
- Perform field layout verification, and construction-grade surveying and advise supervisor(s) on quality issues related contractor’s work.
- Verify material and equipment received is compliant with approval submittals and shop drawings prior to incorporation into the work.
- Schedule and/or review testing of materials such as concrete, soil, and asphalt to verify the physical properties and ensure compliance with specifications and standards.
The successful candidate will work collaboratively with their coworkers and assigned supervisor to help achieve their respective project and construction management objectives.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications.
- Experience in engineering or construction with an emphasis in construction management, and/or project administration with appropriate educational background.
- Knowledge of engineering principles and construction practices related to heavy civil, commercial, and public buildings, water, wastewater, pipeline, and road/bridge construction.
- Ability to ensure compliance with, and follow, standard safety practices and procedures common to construction work.
- Understanding of construction phasing and practices and ability to implement this knowledge in accurate scheduling and project controls.
- Ability to compile data and statistics and evaluate and write reports. Technical writing skills.
- Assist in the preparation of budgets, and proposals, and assist with job cost management.
- Ability to prepare construction cost estimates for design and construction projects to a Class 3 level of accuracy.
- Ability to effectively communicate using both oral and written communication to internal, and external teams and clients.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies, clients, and the public.
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to perform complex mathematical calculations; ability to perform statistical analysis.
- Microsoft Project and scheduling software experience.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Construction Management or Engineering is required.
Special Licensing or Certification: Certified Construction Manager or Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Colorado preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience: Minimum 1 to 5 years of increasingly responsible experience in engineering and construction with an emphasis in the following areas:
- Construction and project management
- Project/construction management for municipal or federal agency projects
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to communicate with clients and the public and respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively communicate with contractors and people in the construction trades to interpret plans, specifications, and contracts in resolving construction-related issues. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to management, public groups, and/or clients. Bi-lingual in Spanish is a plus.
Ability to apply mathematical concepts necessary to perform construction layout verification. Geometric calculations necessary to verify any and all construction concepts and installations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagrammatic form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Lifting, carrying or maneuvering items in excess of 75 lbs. such as manhole covers or vault lids.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, outside weather conditions, uneven terrain, underground or confined space conditions, building heights, and elevated workspaces. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud requiring appropriate hearing protection.
May be required to travel to projects greater than 50 miles from the main office location. May be required to perform work at remote job sites for varying lengths of time.
Application Process: Send us your updated resume and cover letter.